Platform as a Service
- The Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) model, developers essentially rent everything they have to create an application and it includes development tools, infrastructure, and operating systems. This is often one among the three service models of cloud computing.
- PaaS includes infrastructure and platform to support the online application life cycle.
- Eg: Google App Engine, Force.com , Joyent , Azure
- PaaS providers provide the Programming languages, Application frameworks, Databases, and Other tools.
- PaaS providers provide various databases like ClearDB, PostgreSQL, MongoDB , and Redis to speak with the applications.
- PaaS providers provide various other tools that are required to develop, test, and deploy the applications.
Advantages of Paas
- Future-Proof :
- Access to state-of-the-art data center, hardware and operating systems
- Increase Security :
- PaaS providers invest heavily in security technology and expertise
- Cost Effective :
- No need to purchase hardware or pay expenses in downtime
- Time Savings :
- No need to spend time setting up/maintaining the core stack
- Speed to Market :
- Speed up the creation of apps
- Dynamically Scale :
- Rapidly add capacity in peak times and scale down as required
- Flexibility :
- Allows employees to log in and work on applications from anywhere
Disadvantages of PaaS
- Downtime :
- Downtime is taken into account together of the most important potential downsides of using Cloud Computing. The cloud providers may sometimes face technical outages which will happen to various reasons, like loss of power, low Internet connectivity, data centers going out of service for maintenance, etc.
- Vendor lock-in
- One has got to write the applications consistent with the platform provided by the PaaS vendor, therefore the migration of an application to a different PaaS vendor would be a problem .
- Data Privacy :
- Corporate data, whether it are often critical or not, are going to be private, so if it's not located within the walls of the corporate , there are often a risk in terms of privacy of data.
- Integration with the remainder of the systems applications :
- It may happen that some applications are local, and a few are within the cloud. So there'll be chances of increased complexity once we want to use data which within the cloud with the local data.
Popular PaaS Providers
|Google App Engine (GAE)||App Identity, URL Fetch, Cloud storage client library, Logservice|
|Salesforce.com||Faster implementation, Rapid scalability, CRM Services, Sales cloud, Mobile connectivity, Chatter.|
|Windows Azure||Compute, security, IoT, Data Storage.|
|AppFog||Justcloud.com, SkyDrive, GoogleDocs|
|Openshift||RedHat , Microsoft Azure.|
|Cloud Foundry from VMware||Data, Messaging, and other services.|